We Have Work to Do. Can You Help?
Legislators are considering many competing budget priorities right now. Can you send your legislator a quick email asking for their support of Governor Northam’s early education budget package? This funding is critical to fully restoring the $85m package from last year.
How can you help?
- Tell your legislators why this matters to you.
- Check out VKRP locality data and tell your legislator the readiness gaps in their district.
- Follow and share on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Share the Early Learning NOW campaign materials on your social media.
- Sign up for text and email advocacy alerts.
COVID-19 Impact on Early Learners & Programs in 2020:
- More children started kindergarten without key readiness skills in literacy, math, social skills and self-regulation (VKRP, 2020).
- Literacy skills and reading gaps have increased in kindergarteners.
- More black and brown children entered kindergarten without the readiness skills they need to be successful academically and socially.
- Social skills and self-regulation skills (cooperation, expressing emotions, conflict resolution, attention and controlling behaviors) are kindergarten teachers biggest concerns.
- Early educators are on the frontlines and need support.
- Early learning programs are a support system for working families – faith-based, Head Start, private and the Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI). They need financial support NOW.
We are monitoring other legislation that will impact children and early learning programs. Be on the lookout for an update on all bills soon!
Our children, families, teachers and programs need YOU to speak up for them NOW! Thank you for being a champion for our children!