Fall 2020 Data
- 44% of Virginia’s children entered kindergarten not ready (VKRP 2019).
- More children are entering kindergarten without key readiness skills in literacy, math, social skills and self-regulation (VKRP 2020).
- More black and brown children entered kindergarten without the skills they need to be successful academically and socially.
- More kindergarten and first grade students started the school year at high risk of reading failure compared to last year (PALS, Fall 2020).
- Black, Hispanic, English learners (EL) and children from economically disadvantaged homes were at greater risk of reading failure (PALS, Fall 2019 to Fall 2020).
- The increased number of kindergarten and first grade students starting the school year at high risk for reading failure is a threat to third grade reading outcomes for years to come (UVA COVID-19 Research Brief, Fall 2020).
- Click to learn more about The Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program.