Who We Are:
E3: Elevate Early Education is a nonpartisan issue-advocacy organization that advocates for policy initiatives and state funds to be invested in early learning through third grade. Our work focuses on improving equitable access to quality for all children.
- 52% of Virginia’s kindergarteners ended the school year still needing to build foundational skills in literacy, math, social skills and self-regulation (VKRP, Spring 2021).
- Over 1/2 of our children are entering kindergarten without key readiness skills (VKRP, 2021).
- More children are at high-risk of reading failure compared to the prior year (PALS, Fall 2020).
- More Black, Hispanic, economically-disadvantaged, and English learners are at high risk of reading failure (PALS, Fall 2020).
- Third graders who are not reading at grade level are among the most vulnerable to drop out of school later (National Conference of State Legislators 2019).
- The achievement, readiness and reading gaps ARE WIDENING for all children.
Tells us that investing in quality early learning programs benefits all children, families, communities and society.
Children through third grade are learning to read; after third grade they are reading to learn.
- Make equitable access to quality a top priority.
- Focus on improving quality in the classroom.
- Invest in quality.
- Work to align preschool through third grade.
- Improved access to quality programs.
- More children enter kindergarten ready academically and socially.
- Improved third grade reading.
- Increased investment.
- Dedicated funding for early learning.
- Improved funding formula.
The $1: $1 Challenge:
With your help, we can change the fact that too many children are entering kindergarten not ready. Now more than ever, our children need your help. The health crisis has widened the learning, readiness and reading gaps. Working families are struggling to find programs. We can solve this problem. High quality early education is a game changer.
Our work is privately funded. Your gift will match the Jane Batten and Gil & Charlotte Minor Challenge to help us impact thousands of children across Virginia.