Who We Are:
E3: Elevate Early Education is a nonpartisan issue-advocacy organization that advocates for policy initiatives and state funds to be invested in early learning through third grade. Our work focuses on improving equitable access to quality for all children.
- 42% of Virginia’s kindergarteners are not ready for kindergarten in literacy, math, social skills and self-regulation (VKRP, Fall 2021).
- Too many of our children are entering kindergarten without key readiness skills (VKRP, Fall 2021).
- Many kindergarteners and first graders are at high risk of reading failure. This will impact third grade reading outcomes for years.
- More Black, Hispanic, economically-disadvantaged, and English learners are at high risk of reading failure (PALS, Fall 2020).
- Third graders who are not reading at grade level are among the most vulnerable to drop out of school later (National Conference of State Legislators 2019).
- The achievement, readiness and reading gaps ARE WIDENING for all children.
- Tells us that investing in quality early learning programs benefits all children, families, communities and society.
- Children through third grade are learning to read; after third grade they are reading to learn.
- Make equitable access to quality a top priority.
- Focus on improving quality in the classroom.
- Invest in quality.
- Work to align preschool through third grade.
The Policy Initiatives:
- Preserve historic and transformative policy changes.
- Protect the dedicated funding (40% of net profits) from the sale of marijuana. This funding will help at-risk children have access to quality programs.
- Improve the funding formula from early education on up and increase flexibility.
- Bridge the gap for middle income families that do not qualify for publicly funded programs.
- Increase funding for the G3 program for early educators.
- Provide high quality curriculum, professional development and coaching to improve teaching and learning in the classroom.
- Build out the Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program (VKRP) to third grade.
- Replicate & scale The New E3 School’s STREAMin3 model developed by UVA in the school.
- Advocate for our children, families, programs and schools.