E3: Elevate Early Education is a bipartisan, issue-advocacy organization that advocates for state funds to be invested in early education through third grade with a focus on access, equity, quality and impact for all children.
- Pre-COVID, 44% of Virginia’s children were NOT READY for Kindergarten in literacy, math, social skills and self-regulation.
- In Spring 2021, 52% of Virginia’s kindergarteners ended the school year still needing to build foundational skills in literacy, math, social skills and self-regulation (VKRP, Spring 2021).
- More children are entering kindergarten without key readiness skills (VKRP, 2020).
- Kindergarten through third grade assessments show more kindergarten and first grade students started the school year at high-risk of reading failure compared to the prior year (PALS, Fall 2020).
- More Black, Hispanic, economically-disadvantaged, and English learners are at high risk of reading failure. This is a threat to third grade reading outcomes that will have an impact for years to come (PALS, Fall 2020).
- Third graders who are not reading at grade level are among the most vulnerable to drop out of school later (National Conference of State Legislators 2019).
- Post-COVID, the achievement, readiness and reading gaps ARE WIDENING across the income spectrum.
Tells us that investing in early learning up to third grade benefits all children, families, communities and society.
Improve the achievement, readiness and reading gaps for ALL children.
- Increase equitable access to quality early learning for children and families up to third grade.
- Make equitable access to quality a top priority to close the opportunity gap.
- Increased access to quality early learning programs.
- Increased readiness for kindergarten.
- Improved longitudinal outcomes for children in literacy, math, social skills and self-regulation.
- Improved third grade SOL passage rate in reading.
- Improved third grade SOL passage rate in math.
- Aligned and integrated curriculum up to third grade.
- Improved funding formula.